Nothing I write here is from Adelaide Zoo or Monarto Zoo themselves. This is just observations I've made from visits and information from articles.
Although I have only known Sandali since the beginning of July, he has already become probably my favourite animal at Monarto Zoo. He is a fair bit taller than Tsotsi but has a lot less meat on him. He has a very kind-looking face, and sometimes his bottom lip hangs in a relaxed way. Sandali is looking a bit scarred at the moment from his introductions to Tsotsi, but the two get on well, grooming and playing, although Sandali is the subordinate of the two.
Sandali was born at Taronga Zoo to Sacha in 1995. He spent the most of his life in a large family group at Taronga Zoo in Sydney. Sandali moved to Adelaide Zoo in 2008 and in 2009, moved with Tsotsi to his new home at Monarto Zoo.
On my first visit to see Sandali he'd spotted something on the ground that frightened him and peered down at it, whimpering and occasionally screaming. Tsotsi reassured Sandali and kept an eye on whatever it was down there- we think it was a mouse.
I'm certainly going to write a lot more about Sandali in the future, so here are a few more photos of him for now.
Sandali is the one on the right, Tsotsi is on the left
No comments:
Post a Comment