Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Boyd and Gombe, New Kids on the Block

Two adult males, Boyd and Gombe came to Monarto Zoo from Wellington Zoo on the 27th August. I visited them for the first time on the 5th of December, although from a distance and with mesh obscuring them so no decent photos of them thus far! Gombe and Boyd are separated from Tsotsi and Sandali bu this mesh, but I've heard that things are looking promising between them. Once they've all been properly acquainted and comfortable with each other, they'll be able to go outside as a group of four.
Both of the new boys dispalyed upon arrival of a keeper bearing food, which started Sandali swaying bipedally, hooting and stomping with his hair bristled. For a short while, Tsotsi just glared at the newcomers with his hair slightly on end but he performed a short display a bit later as well. Once everything settled down, Tsots and Sandali got on with their usual grooming. Sandali's looking rather battle scarred at the moment. One of the new chimps, I think it was Gombe, spent a while working on a feeding puzzle while Boyd (I think) had a rest in a corner.

I'm pretty sure the chimp in this photo is 31-year-old Boyd, but I'm not entirely sure. Once I've got to know the two of them and taken some decent photos I'll post blog entries for each of them separatley as I have done with Tsotsi and Sandali.
Boyd

No comments:

Post a Comment