Saturday, July 31, 2010

Chimpanzee update

I’ve not updated this blog for a little while, so I’m going to mention some interesting observations from my visits to see the chimpanzees at Monarto Zoo.

Gombe and Sandali playing
-On the 17th of December I saw the four lovely lads outside in their large new enclosure for the first time. The weather wasn’t wonderful so they weren’t outside very long. In fact, no one seemed keen until lunch was scattered outside, and even then they came back in with their food quite quickly. Sandali went back out a bit later and sat outside to eat some fruit.

-On the 23rd of January the boys stayed outside in the sunshine the whole time I was there, the highlight was seeing Sandali playing with Gombe. I’d never seen this before and it was lovely to see they were both so happy in each other’s company. Sandali in particular had a great big smiley play face. Another high point was seeing the chimps climbing trees which I’d not seen them do before.

-The chimpanzees have been using the fake termite mound quite a lot. It is filled with treats for them to get out using tools. The chimps I see using it most are Gombe and Tsotsi.

-On the 3rd of March the chimps were indoors and there was a bit of a disagreement over something (not sure what). Boyd displayed a bit and Tsotsi was frightened, showing his teeth in a fear grin. Sandali rushed over to Tsotsi and gave him a hug and a pat to calm him down. Shortly after, the two of them lay down together and occasionally groomed each other. It was nice to see them getting on so well.

Gombe


Tsotsi and Boyd

No comments:

Post a Comment