Boyd
I was lucky enough to be invited along to Monarto Zoo with my school's Year 11 Environmental Studies camp on 12th-13th August as the 'chimp expert'. At the chimpanzee enclosure, I talked to the other students about chimps and the many threats facing them. I also talked about the four beautiful chimp boys that are living at the zoo. I enjoyed giving the talk and I was asked lots of questions afterwards about chimpanzees.
Unfortunatley, Gombe was very poorly on the two days I was there, and on the 13th he was displayed at by both Tsotsi and Boyd and had his nest charged through and was attacked by Tsotsi who screamed loudly at him. After the brief attack, Tsots and Boyd joined Gombe for grooming. I was very worried about Gombe, but as I haven't heard anything since then I'm hoping that no news is good news!
Gombe feeling unwell
You may know that I am a volunteer for the Australian Orangutan Project (AOP). We have some events coming up soon in South Australia in aid of orangutans, and also in aid of chimpanzees at the Jane Goodall Institute's Tchimpounga Chimpanzee Rehabilitation Centre.
There are two movie nights planned with guest speakers.
On the 15th of September there will be a screening of 'The Last Trimate' about the great primatologist Birute Galdikas and orangutans. Adelaide Zoo orang keeper Jodie Ellen will be a guest speaker, talking about her experiences in Borneo.
On the 22nd of September, there will be a screening of 'Jane Goodall's Wild Chimpanzees' with ZoosSA CEO and JGI Chairman Dr Chris West talking as a guest speaker.
Both will take place at the Santos Conservation Centre outside Adelaide Zoo, from 7pm for a 7.30pm start. Prices are $15 for one night and $25 for both. Purchases can be made through contacting Regina (0408377996),
If you would like a flyer for the movie evenings please contact me
Sandali says 'Please help us!'
Kluet
No comments:
Post a Comment